[lubuntu-users] goodbye forever, i386

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 18 20:18:11 UTC 2019

Today the Ubuntu Engineering team announced that they will [no longer
support i386][1] either for images or for packages in the repositories
starting with the 19.10 release. They are, in fact, working on disabling
it as we speak. Since [Lubuntu already dropped i386 images][2], this
shouldn't come as too much of a shock.

However, since LXQt is both our present and our future, many have asked
us how to have LXQt on an i386 machine. We have been giving advice at
times that the course to do so is to install 18.04 and upgrade, but this
is not even conceivable any longer and if you've done this, especially
with 19.10, it's really problematic.

Long story short, if you're on i386, you're stuck on 18.04. We stop
supporting it in 2021, after which the Ubuntu community will support it
in a much more limited fashion until 2023.

That said, if you have an i386 machine, I urge you to consider a new one
or try to find some other solution like Debian, which [has been
suggested before][3].

This is a [cross-post from Discourse][4], btw.

[1]:
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/i386-architecture-will-be-dropped-starting-with-eoan-ubuntu-19-10/11263
[2]: https://lubuntu.me/sunsetting-i386/
[3]: