[lubuntu-users] The ending of various technological "waves"

Mon Jun 3 15:36:44 UTC 2019

On 6/3/19 8:57 AM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 01:28, Aere Greenway <Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com
> <mailto:Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com>>
> wrote:
> > Thanks for the information.  I will do that if 32-bit is still not
> > available in Lubuntu 20.04.
> >
> Debian is my plan B for my 32-bit netbook :)
> BW,
>
> Ian
>
> @Aere && Ian:
>
> I have a "Siduction" install in one of my linux partitions, which is a
> "sid" based system stacked on Debian 10, not a bad system but the GUI
> isn't as worked out as the Lu 19 GUI, and I think it is 64 bit . . .
> .  Still, likely at some point Debian will do with 32 bit what it did
> with PPC???  Hard to say for sure . . . .

That could very well happen.

But of course, those perfectly-useful machines could eventually die a
'natural computer death', as well, rather than being junked because
there is no modern OS to run on them.

So far though, they are working well, and going strong, accomplishing
useful tasks for me.

It may surprise a lot of people to hear that the slower machines are
actually more valuable to me, because they allow me to test if my
software really does work on 'older, slower machines', as I claim on my
website.

Strangely, my 32-bit MacBook seems to have a better display than my
later 64-bit MacBook.  And with Linux, it makes a perfectly good musical
instrument for performances.

--
Sincerely,
Aere