[lubuntu-users] Activating a swap partition

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 20:01:05 UTC 2018

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 19:49, Ian Bruntlett <ian.bruntlett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On behalf of the Computer Wombling Project I am refurbishing a donated Toshiba NB250-107 netbook. It has a 64-bit CPU and 1GiB RAM. Because of that I installed 32-bit Lubuntu 18.04.1. Whenever I try to open a (small) document with LibreOffice Writer, the hard drive whirs a bit, some of the LibreOffice window appears... and then LibreOffice closes.
>
> I think it is running out of memory.

FWIW, it takes up to 2GB...

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/toshiba-nb250-107/

... and you can probably pick up a 2GB SO-DIMM for peanuts. E.g. £1.50 from CEX:

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=2gb%20ddr3

That would likely transform the performance and usability for the cost
of a half a pint. :-)

> I've put a 2GiB partition on the hard drive

It might be worth investigating zswap so that it swaps compressed data
to the hard disk. It helps both efficiency and performance.