[lubuntu-users] lenovo_wmi or acer_wmi for Lenovo loptops (64 bit)

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 14:52:59 UTC 2018

Hi Richard
(inline replies)
On 01/18/2018 12:43 PM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:

> I have two Lenovo ideapad laptops: Lenovo 3000 N200 with 4GB RAM and
> Lenovo Z570 with 8GB RAM.
> I am currently dual booting Z570 with Lubuntu 16.04.3 and Windows 10
> Pro 1709 Insider Preview.
First things first.
Make sure your ISO image is correct using md5sum.
Personally I like using zsync to download an ISO because it
automatically checks the md5sum and makes sure things are correct.
If the image is flawed re-download it and check it (or use zsync with
the current image, as it should update the image and fix it and save you
downloading time)

> As soon as my N200 is repaired, I plan to dual boot with Lubuntu
> 16.04.3 and Windows 8.1 Pro.
> (I gave up on Windows 10 because it runs very slow with only 4GB RAM).
>
> Off and on, I get this error on Z570
>
> acer_wmi: Unsupported machine has AMW0_GUID1, unable to load

This command will list all kernel modules with wmi in their name:
find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -type f -name '*.ko*' |grep wmi
For me I fine and acer_wmi, which is probably the one your computer is
trying to load
You might need to blacklist it, and load a different module instead, or
if it isn't being loaded properly (being blacklisted) you might need to
force it to be loaded.

> 1) My initial Lubuntu install with msdos partitions and no EFI System
> partition failed with this error.
This may be a different issue altogether, but I think verifying the
integrity of the ISO is vital here.

> 2) My second Lubuntu install (after re-installing Windows) with GPT
> partitions including  EFI System succeeded.
> But after two (or three?) automatic "Software Updater" sessions, it
> again failed with this error.
Are these Lubuntu software updates, or Windows?
> A confusing factor is that Windows Insider Preview kept resetting my
> clock to London time (I'm in Los Angeles time zone).
> This broke Cygwin make command, and forced me to re-install Cygwin.

It may be due to your hardware clock being incorrect.  You might need to
ensure your hardware clock is right.  Windows might assume it is, and
Lubuntu may not be assuming it.  So if your cmos battery is low, it
might be reseting your hwclock to Ubuntu time (Canonical has an office
in London and is located there)
> According to Torvalds GitHub source for acer_wmi.c, N200 is on a
> quirks list of machines that is allowed to use Acer driver.
> Z570 is not on the list, and Torvalds asks that no more Lenovo
> machines be added to the list.
> So I need to know:
> Is there a lenovo_wmi driver?
I am not sure of that I have a Lenovo, and do not see any lenovo
specific kernel modules, however when I search my modules I find:
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-lenovo.ko

I subsituted $(uname -r) because your kernel will be different from mine
> Was Z570 added to quirks list? If so, is it still on the quirks list?
According to:
http://www.linlap.com/lenovo_ideapad_z570

Some people have gotten it to work well.

You might try a live CD from an earlier release (14.04) to see if it
performs well, and if you have time to try things out, you could install
it to see if it is working.

If things work, you could check the modules that are loaded for the
working kernel, with this command:
lsmod

And then use those modules in 16.04