[lubuntu-users] Bionic B Lu 18.04 Testing . . .

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 23:05:39 UTC 2018

Folk/wxl:

As previously mentioned, downloaded the "daily/current" Lu 18.04 amd64 iso
yesterday, burned it to DVD . . . no time to do the whole LP testing
process, but providing short report on using the live DVD on my '12 Mac Pro
3.2 Ghz Quadcore with 16GB RAM . . . radeon card I believe.

Just like the ubuntu 18.04 live DVD the Lu version takes a couple minutes
to get to the GUI system, but then mounts the GUI just fine.  All seems
pretty "zippy" as far as using FF goes . . . took a few minutes to figure
out how to select the "location" so that the system clock time would set
properly . . . in "manual."  One complaint about that clock is that many of
the other OSs now offer the "12/24" hour toggle switch in the GUI, rather
than still having to re-set the "%M" method . . . from the olde days . . .
that should prolly be included in Lu 18.04 to bring it up to the present
day.

Several times I got an error on "The application Notifications has closed
unexpectedly" and then when I clicked on the "send report" toggle . . . the
window "disappeared"??  Don't know if that is how the report gets sent . .
. there was no "drop down" window showing the details of the report, etc .
. . it was just gone.

In both the "Volume Control" app and the "galculator" app . . . the "tabs"
for the various controls were not drawn as "tabs" but were instead just the
"words" that were strung together without spacing, but clicking on them
brought the various function like "input" "output" and so forth . . . .

When I moved the toolbar to the top of the display, across the bottom there
was left a jagged white line showing where the desktop image was not
extending fully to the edge of the display . . . kind of "not tidy" . . . .

And, on using the mouse to "right-click" in the drop down menu, the items
were not "highlighting" to show whether they were "selected" . . . but,
clicking on "copy" did indeed "copy" and "paste" without showing anything
to indicate that either of those items was "highlighted" . . . don't know
if that is like an "OpenBox" "feature" . . . but I think most OSs will show
some kind of "highlighter" around the moused over item in the menu???

That's it for now, overall seems like a good build . . . with just a few
details that need some attention . . . .  I didn't open every single app,
but went through a few of them, the "normal" stuff . . . .  I saw also that
"abiword" is still the word processor, a few years back abiword wasn't
doing very well and we had to "remove it" or something, for the most part
it seems most OSs have gone to Libre Writer . . . ??