[lubuntu-users] trying to set i3 window manager only but a different one keeps showing up

Felipe M. Vieira fmv1992 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 00:56:50 UTC 2018

> Hi Felipe,
>
> Not sure if we can help you, since this is for Lubuntu specifically.
> How do you start i3?  Do you use lxsession?  Do you configure it using
> something in your home folder (.xsession, .xinitrc, .bashrc, etc...)
>
> >From my experience with window managers, I would say:
>
> Do not use lxsession, use
>
> /etc/X11/Xsession i3
>
> instead, so you do not run the Lubuntu specific startup things.
>
> Using .xinitrc is a well accepted method, but will interfere with other
> DE/WM.  For example you cannot reasonably run Lubuntu, LXQt, i3, and JWM
> all by using a file in your home folder and get the best results.  It
> would be better to write a shell script to set the variable you want,
> and start things that you can call up.
>
> I have never used i3.  I use JWM regularly, so I cannot give you i3
> specific advice.  JWM is my favorite window manager, by far :D

Hey, thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, I'm using Lubuntu! Loving
it.

My i3 is configured by "lxsession-default-apps" > "core applications" >
"Windows manager" blank field is set to "i3".

So it looks like an instance of pcmanfm is opened everytime I start a
session. How can I disable it?

Best,

--
Felipe Martins Vieira
I have transitioned to a new pgp key. Check my statement at: