[lubuntu-users] trying to set i3 window manager only but a different one keeps showing up

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 23:57:34 UTC 2018

On 02/03/2018 01:33 PM, Felipe M. Vieira wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using i3 window manager but another one keeps interfering. At least
> one of my workspaces gets either that solid blue background or that
> geometric one full of blue triangles and the "Trash" icon.
>
> I would like to have none of those, just pure i3.
>
> Can you help me with that?
>
> --
> Felipe Martins Vieira
> I have transitioned to a new pgp key. Check my statement at:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hoaedh6tIss0P7TYHYZFIqyOy8jBbb7FNhYtO2RzCb8
> New Key Fingerprint: 4723 61F6 81DE A694 4060  D2BE ABD6 D936 A5B9 9720
> Mobile +55 11 971 066 250

Hi Felipe,

Not sure if we can help you, since this is for Lubuntu specifically.
How do you start i3?  Do you use lxsession?  Do you configure it using
something in your home folder (.xsession, .xinitrc, .bashrc, etc...)

>From my experience with window managers, I would say:

Do not use lxsession, use

/etc/X11/Xsession i3

instead, so you do not run the Lubuntu specific startup things.

Using .xinitrc is a well accepted method, but will interfere with other
DE/WM.  For example you cannot reasonably run Lubuntu, LXQt, i3, and JWM
all by using a file in your home folder and get the best results.  It
would be better to write a shell script to set the variable you want,
and start things that you can call up.

I have never used i3.  I use JWM regularly, so I cannot give you i3
specific advice.  JWM is my favorite window manager, by far :D