[lubuntu-users] @oldmarathonrunnet

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jul 17 19:07:58 UTC 2017

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 12:56:35 -0400, twocool at protonmail.com wrote:
>Honesty neither is here as its really a distribution development
>mailing list mostly.

Hi,

no, it's a user list, but actually Lubuntu is an Ubuntu flavour, so a
lot of questions might reach more people, when sending a request to
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users .

"What is this list for?

ubuntu-users is a mailing list staffed by volunteer community members
to provide technical support to Ubuntu Users.

Users of Ubuntu and officially supported derivatives (Kubuntu,
Edubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu) can get support here. Users of derivatives
(such as Backtrack and Linux Mint) are not officially supported." -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuUsersListFAQ#FAQ1

Some domains have got individual mailing lists that don't belong to a
distro, if you e.g. need help with Linux audio, consider to join
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user . If it's
related to another domain, you much likely would get a pointer on the
Ubuntu mailing list.

Btw. a lot of us are editing Linux Wikis, including Ubuntu Wikis. It's
a little bit disrespectful to ignore this work and to whine on a
mailing list without an actual request.

"Before You Ask

Before asking a technical question by e-mail, or in a newsgroup, or on
a website chat board, do the following:

    Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum or
    mailing list you plan to post to.

    Try to find an answer by searching the Web.

    Try to find an answer by reading the manual.

    Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.

    Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.

    Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.

    If you're a programmer, try to find an answer by reading the source
    code.

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these
things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy
sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have
learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people
who have demonstrated they can learn from the answers." -
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before

This is not a paid support. It's possible to pay for a distro and to get
support. My first Linux was "Suse Linux professional 9.0" "student
version". I wasn't a "student", I was jobless, so they anyway sold me
the price reduced version. It costs 49,95 EUR and came with two books,
a user manual and an admin manual. The support did not include
everything! It's the same for Apple and Microsoft, they provide
support for their products and not for all the available software.

Nobody is forced to use Linux for free as in beer. If you expect the
help you are used to by paid support, then pay for support.

Btw. in my experiences mailing lists and Wikis and other gratis manuals
are much more important when using Linux, then paid support is.

Consider to learn how to understand the output of "apropos", "man",
"info", "--help" from command line. If this isn't what you want, then
why are you using an UNIX/POSIX alike operating system?

If I want to toast a bread I use a toaster and not a dish-washer. You
won't migrate from a toaster to a dish-washer and expect that the
dish-washer does the same as the toaster does. I'm sorry if you got the
wrong impression that Linux and it's communities are
replacements/competitors for/of Microsoft or Apple.

Linux isn't rocket science, most people should be able to become a
power user with less effort. However, it requires some interest and
the will to learn.

Regards,
Ralf