[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu Linux spotted at a Cheese Shop in Belluno, Italy

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 22:41:26 UTC 2016

On 15/11/16 19:26, Rafael Laguna wrote:
> Yes. But I was wrong. Not the OS, but the Office suite used. Here're
> some links:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/huge-savings-prompt-italian-city-to-dump-openoffice-for-microsoft-after-four-years/
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/another-italian-city-announces-its-ditching-microsoft-windows-for-open-source/
> http://thevarguy.com/open-source-application-software-companies/091715/italian-government-ditch-microsoft-open-source-libreoffic
>
> Which is stupid. The "real reasons" were "lack of support". But we all
> know you can buy support from Canonical or SuSE, and have access to
> professional cloud services oriented to huge enterprises. But... as you
> said, I guess this is something else. Like the strange contracts signed
> by the Spanish Government with Microsoft Iberica (Spanish part of
> Microsoft, obviously) for installing Windows on ALL ministries (you can
> see everywhere: hospitals / healthcare, social, taxes, etc).
>
> Your thoughts?

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for all of the links, I had no idea that Italy was so pro-opensource.

Microsoft are fighting hard to discourage more converts, which is
obviously to protect their source of revenue, but it is somewhat at odds
with their public efforts to embrace open source in general (and linux
in particular). We all know that converting is a challenge due to
Microsoft's aggressive use of vendor lock-in so it would be easy to
influence less-than-fully-committed politicians and so protect that lock-in.

Barry T