[lubuntu-users] Lubuntu 16.04 PPC: Cacti stopped working after PHP upgrade

Peter Golis golisp at centrum.sk
Sat Mar 26 18:33:55 UTC 2016

I had installed cacti using command "apt-get install cacti" and it was working for one year. So, if I can understood you correctly, all of dependencies are tested in Debian?

Have a nice day,

On March 26, 2016 6:45:29 PM CET, Aere Greenway <Aere at Dvorak-Keyboards.com> wrote:
>On 03/26/2016 07:16 AM, Peter Golis wrote:
>> Hello Gentleman,
>> Yesterday, after upgrade of PHP v7 package with removal of older
>version of PHP v5 had stopped working my Cacti instance. What had
>please happened with PHP v5, was it marked as obsolete?
>> Error in cacti.log had pointed to missing function mb_strlen() which
>was moved into separate package php7.0-mbstring in PHP v7. After
>installing it, Cacti was back in life. That simply point to wrong
>dependencies for package Cacti. Are somewhere tested also dependencies
>for packages?
>> [Fri Mar 25 21:23:20.098957 2016] [:error] [pid 18311] [client
>] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined
>function mb_strlen() in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php:1049\nStack
>trace:\n#0 /usr/share/cacti/site/graph_image.php
>> (92): rrdtool_function_graph('36', '0', Array)\n#1 {main}\n  thrown
>in /usr/share/cacti/site/lib/rrd.php on line 1049, referer:
>> Have a nice day,
>> Peter.
>I don't know how you originally installed Cacti, so I am speculating 
>here, with a generality.
>When we install software from sources other than the Ubuntu repository,
>or Debian packages, the package manager is not aware of what other 
>packages your 'custom install' software requires.
>So (being unaware of the requirements), it may allow packages not 
>required by software installed from the repository (or other Debian 
>packages), to be marked as 'not needed', or perhaps 'obsolete'.
>Un-needed or obsolete packages get removed when you upgrade to a new 
>system level.
>I am speculating that this situation may have come into-play in the 
>problem you reported.

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/attachments/20160326/bc985a98/attachment.html>

More information about the Lubuntu-users mailing list