[lubuntu-users] Xfburn & External USB Burner

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 00:53:42 UTC 2016

On 06/04/2016 05:34 PM, J. Van Brimmer wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I am running Lubuntu 16.04 64bit on a Lenovo X140e with the "AMD A4-5000
> APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics" CPU, and a 500GB hard drive.
>
> I am having a problem with Xfburn seeing my ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U external
> USB 2.0 CD/DVD burner.
>
> When I connect it to the laptop, it shows up in Devices. I can
> play video DVDs from it just fine. But, when I right click on a .iso
> file to burn it to a DVD+RW disc and select Xfburn, Xfburn give a pop-up that
> says "No burners are currently available".
>
> If I open Xfburn from the Menu, and go into Edit > Preferences >
> Devices, the burner is not listed under Detected devices. If I click on
> 'Scan for devices' it still does not detect the drive.
>
> I found a work-around for this here:
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/232026/external-dvd-writer-not-detected-in-xfburn
>
> There was no .rules files in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory, so I
> created a '70-persistent-cd.rules' file and copied in the rule from
> that page, inserting the serial number for my drive, which I got from
> running 'usbview'.
>
> Here's the rule I put into the file I created:
> SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="00101016400000005", ENV{ID_TYPE}="cd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"
>
> The filename is:
> 70-persistent-cd.rules
>
> I then rebooted and still Xfburn does not see the external burner.
>
> Any ideas?

Honestly I use brasero personally.
So, now to the real question you asked :D
Is the ISO you are using complete?  (Did you run md5sum on it)
Have you tried other programs (Brasero, K3B any command line tools?)

And finally, can you open xfburn from a terminal and report the errors
it spits out in the terminal, those are generally very useful for
finding issues.

I have not had any issues with either of the external DVD/RW dirves I
have used over the years, but again I do not use xfburn, because I had
troubles with it 5 years ago, and have not had problems with brasero.

So try another program first to see if it is simply xfburn that is the
issue

Also, making a USB drive to boot is extremely easy with certain programs
(such as mkusb) and will work on many computers :)