[lubuntu-users] Xfburn & External USB Burner

J. Van Brimmer jwfj77 at ymail.com
Sat Jun 4 22:34:43 UTC 2016

Hi folks!

I am running Lubuntu 16.04 64bit on a Lenovo X140e with the "AMD A4-5000
APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics" CPU, and a 500GB hard drive.

I am having a problem with Xfburn seeing my ASUS SDRW-08D1S-U external
USB 2.0 CD/DVD burner.

When I connect it to the laptop, it shows up in Devices. I can
play video DVDs from it just fine. But, when I right click on a .iso
file to burn it to a DVD+RW disc and select Xfburn, Xfburn give a pop-up that
says "No burners are currently available".

If I open Xfburn from the Menu, and go into Edit > Preferences >
Devices, the burner is not listed under Detected devices. If I click on
'Scan for devices' it still does not detect the drive.

I found a work-around for this here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/232026/external-dvd-writer-not-detected-in-xfburn

There was no .rules files in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory, so I
created a '70-persistent-cd.rules' file and copied in the rule from
that page, inserting the serial number for my drive, which I got from
running 'usbview'.

Here's the rule I put into the file I created:
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_CDROM}=="?*", ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="00101016400000005", ENV{ID_TYPE}="cd", ENV{GENERATED}="1"

The filename is:
70-persistent-cd.rules

I then rebooted and still Xfburn does not see the external burner.

Any ideas?