[lubuntu-users] cups not built-in ?

scrooyahoo at riseup.net scrooyahoo at riseup.net
Sat Aug 13 12:12:53 UTC 2016

> No body remembers that Lubuntu was based on the old Ubuntu Lite
> (u-lite)
> and its purposes?
> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ulite

It's always good to learn a bit of history!
Maybe it is because LXDE runs so good on newer hardware that there is a
need to cover both in a different way?

One absolute minimal Live CD, and one for general use?

Is Lubuntus goal still the same? From the minimal system requirements
stated on the wiki i think yes.
And then i ask myself again the same question again, should there be an
option to better cover both use cases?

One for real old hardware, and one for more modern hardware.

Or maybe a even more minimal approach and leave it all to the end user
what additional applications to run.

Last night i had a look at the QNX Demo disk. (15 years ago i have
worked with QNX, and i remembered this awesome floppy)
It runs an entire graphical desktop + webbrowser and some tools from a
1.44MB floppy.
download it here:
https://winworldpc.com/product/qnx/144mb-demo

Or see someone else play with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_VlI6IBEJ0  (turn the volume down a bit
before you load this)

I know that all the hardware support in the kernel needs 100+ MB, still
700MB seems a bit much after seeing what can be done with 1.44MB.
Eventhough that floppy is 15 years old.  It's scares me a bit if 15
years from mow we would use 400times more space then what we do today.
Then we would need 280GB to make a LiveCD!
I mean does anybody realise how insanely big 700MB actually is?. :-)