Install problems: Encrypted LVM Lubuntu install on USB hard drive

Tom Cloyd tomcloydmsma at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 04:14:40 UTC 2015

I'm stuck with my install.

I'm trying to install LB 15.04 to a 500gB USB hard drive from which I have
removed all partitions. It's plugged into my HP 110 netbook. I also have an
external Pioneer optical drive plugged into the HP newbook, and it has the
installation DVD, which I've used to install LB on two other boxes.

I tried booting directly from the install DVD, then directing it to install
to the USB HD. All went well until the actual install started. Then I got
an "Unsafe swap space detected" error message. This makes no sense to me.LB
is running in ram. It's installing to a clean HD. WHAT swap is being talked
about?

I tried again, this time starting LB from the DVD, and then initiating the
install to the USB HD. Same result.

The error message says that I must "disable the swap space (e.g., by
running swapoff) or configure an encrypted swap space and then run setup of
encrypted volumes again."

So, I call up lxterminal and execute sudo swapoff -a.

The install (attempt #3) seems to get further this time, but then there is
an objection about the label of the 500gB HD. I call up gparted again, and
delete everything I can find on the 500gB HD.

Retrying install (#4), I get a new error message:

"Configuration of encrypted volumes failed. An error occurred while
configuring volumes. The configuration has been aborted."

Back to gparted, and I clear off the HD one more time. Gparted says to
reboot now. I reboot, do swapoff again, check with gparted on more time
(all's well), and start my attempt #5 to install LB to the 500 gB HD.

As before, the install is instructed by me to erase the disk and install
Lubuntu, fully encrypted for security, using LVM.

Another error message:

"Volume group name already in use. The volume group name used to
automatically partition using LVM is already in use. Lowering the priority
for configuration questions will allow you to specify an alternative name."

I have no idea what this means.

(help!)

Tom

Tom Cloyd, MS MA LMHC (WA)
Psychotherapist (psychological trauma, dissociative disorders)
Spokane, Washington, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332
<< tc at tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)