Help lubuntu ppc on pbg4 (Israel)

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 02:09:26 UTC 2015

Hi :)
(inlines)
On 10/12/2015 04:45 AM, emninger at riseup.net wrote:
> Hi all & especially Israel!
>
> It's a long time i've not been here (since i'm a little bit away from
> Ubuntu/Debian recently) but now i've to install a linux on a Powerbook
> G4 17". And lubuntu seems to me the most viable (for ppc).
>
> My goal is to install lubuntu but the strip it down as
> much as possible to something similar to #crunchbang (but possibly not
> openbox plus conky but fluxbox, don't know at this moment). I had a
> similar installation (debian wheezy/jessie based) but unfortunately i
> broke it by stupidly doing a dist-upgrade. And my guess is/was, that
> the change from sysvinit to systemd was not especially appreciated by
> the ppc flavour (but i'm far away from being a technician).
> Unfortunately i do not see any slackware based ppc linux ;)
I run 12.04 (because of sound issues) with some specially built
packages, to make ToriOS on my iBook
I use JWM, so it is more like Lubuntu than CrunchBang, though it uses
around 80MB RAM.
But you can use conky and fluxbox with Ubuntu.  If you want to go that
route, it might be better to install the mini iso, and simply build from
there.

systemd is an issue for some things you may be used to, such as homebrew
scripts to shutdown/restart/suspend using dbus..
there are new systemctrl commands for this...
systemctrl reboot
systemctrl poweroff
and... I can't remember suspend off the top of my head... probably
systemctrl suspend

I think it is better to stick with LTS for PPC, though.
> My questions:
>
> - I remember there were sound issues with newer kernels (newer than 3.2
>   at least). Is that still the case? Or are they solved in the
>   meantime. I see there are already kernels 4.3 for ppc ...
I haven't tried a newer version as of yet... I have been very busy,
though I do intend to test Wily and newer 14.04 releases to see if my
iBook has sound
I am not sure how the powerbook fares with the hw-detect (hardware
detect program... responsible for this issue) does with G4
> - Which would be the best image to do the installation? I've a 14.04
>   live iso. Would that be a good starting point (since it's still
>   upstart based i presume)? Otherwise ... ?
mini.iso (14.04)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/trusty/
Other downloads:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

> - Ah, a general question the g4 processor is 32bit, correct?
all the Apple PPC is 32bit AFAIK I think IBM only makes 64bit for their
servers... I could be wrong though...