Touchpad trouble.

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Tue Nov 24 02:46:02 UTC 2015

Israel and Brendan:

Thanks you both for your answers and sorry for the lack of additional
information.

I'll begin with the general information:

- lsb_release command displays the following about the version of Lubuntu
I'm using:
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Codename:        trusty
- I'm using the 32-bits version of Lubuntu though I've recently discovered
(running dmidecode command) my notebook supports 64-bits.
- dmidecode and lshw commands display the following about Processor and
Base Board:
Processor Information
    Version: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N550   @ 1.50GHz
Base Board Information
    Manufacturer: INTEL Corporation
    Product Name: Tiger Hill

However, according to a brochure I have, my notebook has the following:
- Processor: Intel? AtomTM Dual Core N2600
- Chipset: NM10 Express

- It's brand name is OLIDATA (kinda unknown world-wide, actually)

lsusb command displayed the following:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 152d:0313 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA
Technology Corp.
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1bcf:0007 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. Optical
Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I also run lshw command but it dislpayed a lot of info and I really don't
know which one would be usefull for this purpose (usb, pci, isa, ide...)

lshw information about isa bridge, ide interface and some usb controllers
confirms some of the information of the brochure mentioned above:

usb:0
    descripci?n: USB controller
    producto: NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1
    fabricante: Intel Corporation
usb:1
    descripci?n: USB controller
    producto: NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2
    fabricante: Intel Corporation
usb:2
    descripci?n: USB controller
    producto: NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3
    fabricante: Intel Corporation
usb:3
    descripci?n: USB controller
    producto: NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4
    fabricante: Intel Corporation
usb:4
    descripci?n: USB controller
    producto: NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller
    fabricante: Intel Corporation
isa
    descripci?n: ISA bridge
    producto: NM10 Family LPC Controller
    fabricante: Intel Corporation
ide
    descripci?n: IDE interface
    producto: NM10/ICH7 Family SATA Controller [IDE mode]
    fabricante: Intel Corporation

I also run synclient command as Brendan suggested and got this answer:

*Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?*

Best regards

Walter,

I'm no expert on track pads, but whenever I've needed one to work, or work better; I've almost always had to mess with/create an xorg.conf file to address it.

gksudo leafpad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Searching the Internet for your laptop specs led me to believe it's very similar (if not the same computer without a famous name) to an Acer Aspire D270. So, if you find an xorg.config for that laptop, you may want to try it and/or tweak it from someone elses.

And even though the following page is intended for Gentoo Linux (so a lot of it won't apply), it includes an xorg section that seems to address the trackpad among other things. You may want to check it out.

https://dweezil.be/aod270/

Eric
--
Thank You,