Small screen adaptability

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:28:28 UTC 2015

On 03/06/2015 06:36 AM, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 06/03/15 01:54, E James wrote:

> >> I'm not familiar with that PC but I would expect the biggest
> >> problem to be screen resolution. It has been my experience for
> >> several years that most, it not all, versions of Linux are
> >> designed for a minimum resolution of 1024x768. If the screen is
> >> smaller, important parts of the window disappear off the sides
> >> and bottom of the screen. There are ways to work around this but
> >> it's tricky. On the other hand Ubuntu Phone is now in the picture
> >> so there must be someone working at designing for small screens.
> >> I believe it's part of the current Canonical strategy.
> >>

> > Abject apologies. I remembered about netbooks after I posted.
> > Adapting Linux to the smaller screen was essential to the success
> > of the netbook such as my own EeePC 901 sitting about 2 feet away
> > as I write.
>

> Applications also need to be resize able quite a few don't fit on the
> screen and the Ok button is usually off the bottom of the screen,
> either leaving users with guesswork as to if they have tabbed to it,
> or the application goes unused.
>
> Maybe application designers can factor this in and set the window so
> it can be resized and all the options / buttons still visible.
>
> I think wpagui is an exanple of this, the screen to add new network is
> quite long,  is there any reason why this can't be longer (width)
> rather than long (height)
>
> Paul

Hi,
I agree with Paul,
A while back there was a discussion about this very issue.  I think Aere
mentioned designing her applications to be resizable on small screens.
I also try to take this in consideration in my own programming
adventures.  Many users have low resolution screens and cannot fit the
entire window on the screen, and need a way to view the entire screen.

If your small screen has high resolution everything will be very small
and hard to see, but you can access all the items on programs, but if it
is low resolution you will have something that is extremely difficult to
use.  Most dialogs, and most programs are made by programmers who work
on really large screens.  And they do not always realize there are
people with older computers who do not have great resolution.  This is
why things are cut off.

With that in mind, you may want to make your own custom interface to use
the device more like an appliance.  You could easily set things up to
run a single program in X, or use a minimal interface with a few
shortcuts to programs you will use.  JWM, or openbox would be my
choices... though I really like JWM... you could have one panel that has
all your shortcuts and group the applications to run fullscreen when
launched.