How to open some files based on extension rather than mime type?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Wed Jan 21 16:03:35 UTC 2015

I found a few more things pcmanfm is NOT looking at by default.

Since LXDE also implements some MIME support, I changed the
document/installed setting to put libreoffice-writer before abiword in
~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf and
~/.config/lxsession-default-apps/settings.conf.  I rebooted, and neither
setting caused pcmanfm to open an ODT with LibreOffice.

Since Lubuntu uses the Debian alternatives system to set the default web
browser, I thought it possible that it might do the same for the default
word processor.  I had a look through /etc/alternatives but didn't find
any candidates there.

And since I had seen an old Firefox bug report where it was looking at
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache, I also played with the relevant
mime type there, also to no effect.

--JDH