IBUS Keyboard input issue might force us to abandon Lubuntu

emninger at riseup.net emninger at riseup.net
Tue Jan 13 10:31:32 UTC 2015

12 Jan 2015 20:38:15 +0000
Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com>:

> There are other input methods out there you could try instead. I use
> `uim` but `fcitx` is very popular.
>
> We discussed in the past getting rid of `ibus` and I'm still not sure
> why we don't. Their developers are extremely unhelpful and
> unresponsive.

I'm not sure if there is any need since the needed keyboards are all
latin (?). Wouldn't be sufficient the standard xkb library and
something like fbxkb for the systray?

I always thought the input method utilities are needed only when it
comes to *NOT* latin keyboards?

PS. On one machine i've no ibus or any other and it works fine to
change between english, italian and german (but to be sincere, that's a
laptop running slackware not *buntu).

In any case thanks for pointing to uim, didn't know that!

Cheers!