How to fix Plymouth splash?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Feb 19 19:58:52 UTC 2015

I'm working with a machine that only booted to a blank/black screen
after the big batch of updates following installation.  Turns out it
runs an Intel 815 video chipset, which is not supported by the updated
version of the Intel driver (Bug 1389904
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1389904>).

My repair involved temporarily installing an ATI video card, then in
Synaptic forcing a downgrade to the original version of
xserver-xorg-video-intel, and finally locking that version of the
package.  So far the software updater seems to respect that.

Then I removed the ATI card and successfully booted.

But collateral damage included a broken plymouth splash screen.  It is
now a white screen with full-height thin vertical black bars and some
occasionally recognizable pieces (the progress dots).

I tried "sudo dpkg-reconfigure plymouth" and that did not fix it.

Also in /etc/default/grub I set GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 and then "sudo
update-grub" but that did not work either.

Does anyone know how to fix this?