cdrdao extremely slow

Henk Terhell hterhell at chello.nl
Sun Dec 20 09:08:42 UTC 2015

Op 2015-12-19 om 02:09 schreef Basil Fernie:
> Yes, I know what you mean about KDE. A few years back, I was trying to
> settle on just one 'Buntu and scrapped KDE for that very reason. Chose
> Lubuntu and had fun planting LXDE on various unlikely candidates
> including Edubuntu. Stayed largely with Lubuntu since then, although
> delving into !#, pure Debian, various Debian-based things (e.g. Mint)
> and, BTW, using sundry Puppies quite a lot for system maintenance and
> repair.  Fouled up my MBR, it seems, with a recent trial installation
> of PCLinuxOS (no LiveCD available). Took too much time to recover,
> backups included. Won't go there again.
>
> Found Lubuntu releases tend to be a bit rough around the edges in
> their earlier versions and decided to have an "old faithful"
> low-hassle working installation of LXLE 14.04 LTS while experimenting
> with the newer and flashier releases on a few spare partitions I keep
> available. For example, I have Lubuntu 15.10 and have used it with
> much success, including running very much newer versions of Opera
> (which I've used since OS/2 days) that have emerged recently, but not
> transferring my core workload to it yet, which was wise because
> something's gone wrong with the boot process of the 15.10
> installation. Will have to strip and re-install, I guess.
>
> Kept an eye on new emerging distros and am enormously impressed with
> 4MLinux, for very low resource consumption. Will have to spend a
> morning getting HDU and USB bootables going. But what I think you may
> find interesting is Q4OS, Debian-based but with a KDE3-forked user
> interface called Trinity Desktop Environment. It is blisteringly fast
> even though not RAM-based like the Puppies; and the general level of
> QA is what I certainly had come to expect from the KDE camp. Yes, it
> uses more RAM than Lubuntu in some scenarios, but not all that much -
> and the results are impressive. Using  version 1.4.4 I found a few
> "incompletenesses" rather than outright errors on the margins of
> development, and am looking forward to the release of version 2.0.x. I
> like the target desktop experience which is Win2K, still to my mind
> the best OS that M$ put out; but you can click it across to LXDE if
> desired.
>
> What I am looking for is a distro I can confidently install and
> maintain on old skinny hardware owned by pensioners who want to avoid
> the Win10 vortex but must escape from the XP bugtrap. Lubuntu ticks a
> lot of boxes, but is rather "unfamiliar". Q4OS could be "it".
>
> I looked at Kmail but that was one ugly swamp-monster! (Well, not
> actually ugly, but it was like installing a whole new OS. ) Any
> comments on Evolution? Is it still being maintained?
>
> My comments on the disk-burners are in an e-mail to Fritz.
>
> Regards,
> Basil

The Trinity desktop didn't impress me much, especially the size and look
of the icons,  but I found Q4OS (as almost pure Debian 8) a good base to
test LXQt. Also LXDE and XFCE can be easily installed on Q4OS. In my
opinion however Lubuntu is a more comfortable distro considering
software resources, whereas I can't believe LXDE takes a long learning
curve coming from XP.

Henk