Touchpad trouble.

Walter Orsi walter.orsi.uy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 12:57:43 UTC 2015

Well, I'll tell you several results and several tests I've made.

I'll begin for the end: the tests I've made. I've installed Lubuntu on
several computers, desktops and notebooks. I've run synclient command in
the other notebooks I installed Lubuntu and the results are quite
confusing. In all notebooks I run synclient command, touchpad works
properly though I have no idea if it's synaptics touchpad or not (later
I'll mention something that may give a clue). First, I run it on a msi wind
U100 notebook and it displayed the same result it displays on mine
(Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?), though
in the case of the msi wind u100 the touchpad works. I run synclient on the
msi wind u100 with touchpad enabled and disabled and displays the same
message. Then, I run synclient on an acer aspire 3690 notebook and a hp
compaq nx9010 notebook, in wich the touchpads also work properly, and in
both cases displayed what it has to. The following link mentions that msi
changed Synaptics touchpad for a Sentellic one in the msi wind models:

http://techcrunch.com/2008/12/04/replace-the-msi-winds-touchpad-for-under-20/

In all the cases of the notebooks mentioned above, I've checked
*/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptic.conf* files and they seem to look
like the one of my notebook, though my touchpad doesn't work.

Following several links I found in spanish (my mother tongue) about how to
enable the touchpad on LXDE (I've realized I get more results if I look up
how to do something on LXDE than if I write Lubuntu instead) and before
posting my question on the Lubuntu mailing list (since I couldn't solve it
by myself), I edited /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf adding in
the section InputClass and before the EndSection line the following:

Option “TapButton1″ “1″
Option “VertEdgeScroll” “1″

It didn't worked.

I read the link Eric recommended, which was very interesting, and created
the */etc/modprobe.d/touchpad.conf* file it suggests with the following
lonely line:

options psmouse proto=auto

It keeps not working.

I've checked permissions and owner as Andre mentioned and I got exactly
what Andre said it should be:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   27 nov 26 12:02 /etc/modprobe.d/touchpad.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1699 nov 27 21:55
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf

This is how it looked my */usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptic.conf* file
before editing it:

# Example xorg.conf.d snippet that assigns the touchpad driver
# to all touchpads. See xorg.conf.d(5) for more information on
# InputClass.
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, your distribution will likely overwrite
# it when updating. Copy (and rename) this file into
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d first.
# Additional options may be added in the form of
#   Option "OptionName" "value"
#
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
# This option is recommend on all Linux systems using evdev, but cannot be
# enabled by default. See the following link for details:
# http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-ignore-configuration-errors.html
      MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad ignore duplicates"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        MatchOS "Linux"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/mouse*"
        Option "Ignore" "on"
EndSection

# This option enables the bottom right corner to be a right button on
# non-synaptics clickpads.
# This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Default clickpad buttons"
        MatchDriver "synaptics"
        Option "SoftButtonAreas" "50% 0 82% 0 0 0 0 0"
#       To disable the bottom edge area so the buttons only work as buttons,
#       not for movement, set the AreaBottomEdge
#       Option "AreaBottomEdge" "82%"
EndSection

# This option disables software buttons on Apple touchpads.
# This option is only interpreted by clickpads.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Disable clickpad buttons on Apple touchpads"
        MatchProduct "Apple|bcm5974"
        MatchDriver "synaptics"
        Option "SoftButtonAreas" "0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"
EndSection

This is how it looks now after edition according to the links I've found
and you've recommended:

# Example xorg.conf.d snippet that assigns the touchpad driver
# to all touchpads. See xorg.conf.d(5) for more information on
# InputClass.
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, your distribution will likely overwrite
# it when updating. Copy (and rename) this file into
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d first.
# Additional options may be added in the form of
#   Option "OptionName" "value"
#
Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "touchpad"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Driver "synaptics"
# This option is recommend on all Linux systems using evdev, but cannot be
# enabled by default. See the following link for details:
# http://who-t.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-to-ignore-configuration-errors.html
        Option "TapButton1" "1"
        Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
[...]

I've also read some general configuration links I've found and you've
recommended and it seems to be I've done what it's supposed to be done, but
doesn't work yet. At least, if there's any mistake or missing line, I seem
not to realize.

Sorry if I wrote too long this time but I wanted you to have an overview of
what I've done up to now, with what I've found and your help, and the
results I've got...

Thanks you all for your time!