Lost my GUI in 14.10

Basil Fernie basil at pop.co.za
Mon Sep 8 10:11:47 UTC 2014

...or, Lost MY GUI in 14.04!

Been watching this one with a sort of morbid interest, because my laptop
is sitting with a failed upgrade from 12.04.? Symptoms include  a frequent
failure to display desktop on boot apart from taskbar across bottom of
screen and conky in top right-hand corner (at least the Xserver is
presumably working), I can select and run any application from the main
Lubuntu menu, so am not totally immobilised, but try "Send to gesktop"?
Nothing visible happens.

Also lack of the volume control applet icon on the taskbar so I have no
convenient means of muting sound. Certainly the sound is working, but
there is no control on the desktop. Task Manager advises pulseaudio at
work, also reveals
gvfs-afc-volume-monitor  and gvfs-ufd-volume-monitor  and
gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor  are active, whatever they may be I don't know
how to control them or even if I should be able to.

And I have 817 uninstalled upgrades waiting for ...what? That number has
come down from over 830 after repeated apt-get update, apt-get upgrade,
apt-get autoremove sequences; it has stuck now stubbornly on 817. Seems to
be blocked by a purported lack af sane-devices (but I can scan without
difficulty from my HP DeskJet F4180...)

Every now and then a "System Upgrade" advisory window opens - if I click
"Run" it frowns at me and says "This program cannot do an upgrade from
"Trusty" to "Precise". Which is understandable, but I was rather hoping it
wouls complete the upgrade from the older to the newer.

Oh, and I have 2  instances of   nmapplet-manager  running after boot, but
this is a know and resolved issue.

All this in the wake of an attempted click-and-lean-back,
watch-the-terminal-messages-scrolling-past automated upgrade from 12.04.04
to 14.04.1 (I had decided to wait for the first point update to be
released, memories of Microsoft days, better safe than sorry right?)

Earlier, though, while still purportedly runnining on 12.04.?, and
religiously using "Update Manager" to stay, well, up-to-date, I wwould be
instructed to insert my 14.04 CD (DVD) as some needed files were on it. So
I did, the ISO DVD with which I had done live boots for version-testing,
and concluded that I would wait for 14.04.1 before doing the system
upgrade. Apparently UM couldn't penetrate the .iso barrier (directory
structure) to find the files it needed... Which CD/DVD was it looking for,
please advise? Surely this shouldn't be a problem?

So while I would be delighted to help test L14.10, I'm not too sanguine
about committing time to a version which it doesn't seem will be clear of
the problems I already face, but will have the added problem, I hear,
that  synaptiks won't be usable with it. Synaptiks is the only reason I
can type this e-mail on my laptop without going crazy. This could be
show-stopper stuff.

Currently I'm transferring workload bit-by-bit to a parallel installation
of LXDE 14.04.1 which of course depends heavily on Lubuntu. It's not
perfect, of course, but seems to be clear of most of the hassles
encountered here - so far.

Strength and fortitude and great appreciation to all,

Basil Fernie