Installer from live CD not launching

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Thu Oct 16 02:36:01 UTC 2014

Ryan.ns.lee1 at ntlworld.com
Sent: October-15-14 6:23 AM
To: lubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Installer from live CD not launching

Hi guys, attempting to revive an old pc to put in my daughters bedroom for watching TV. (mainly peppa pig on YouTube!). It's a pentium 4 with about 512mb ram
[snip]

You've gotten plenty of good advise on this forum about actually installing Lubuntu - most all of which I agree with. My response has to do with your plan for the computer in your daughter's room.

Having set up many, many P4 machines and installing Adobe Flash on almost all of them; I advise at least doubling the RAM. With only 512 MB RAM, Flash videos served from YouTube or other sites on the Internet may appear sluggish. Your daughter also may experience some frame dropping and even some freezing and crashing. This may lead to extreme dislike of her computer.

If stuck with 512MB RAM only, I advise downloading the Flash videos first and making them easy for your daughter to access and play from the hard disk. You might make her webpages served locally or playlists in VLC that link to the stored videos. A great way to quickly find and download videos (say, on your own, maybe faster machine?) is the Video Download Helper add-on for Firefox.

Eric
--
Thank You,
God Bless You,