New Lenovo Netbook

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 05:10:13 UTC 2014

Hi Jerry,

We think that it will work to reduce the size of the Windows partition
using gparted (from a linux live system). You are already warned against
reducing the size too much. I think you should leave at least 100 GB
disk space for Windows. There are no guarantees. So you need a good and
current backup before you start.

You can clone your current hard disk drive with Windows using

*Clonezilla*

Clone it to another hard disk drive of the same size or bigger.

A good alternative is to let Clonezilla make a compressed image of your
current disk. It will use *much* less space and can be stored in an
external hard disk drive as a directory with a set of files. But in
order to restore from it you need another hard disk drive of the same
size (as your current hard disk drive with Windows) or bigger.

And a backup must be tested is order to be really reliable ...

The advantage with this method is that you restore the system to its
current state with tweaks, personal files, everything, instead of the
factory restore.

-o-

An OBI tarball can be used as backup for a linux partition. I'm not sure
that the method (suggested by Israel Dahl) would be able to restore
Windows. But I have used Clonezilla for that purpose, and I know that it
works, when used correctly.

Best regards
Nio