New Lenovo Netbook

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri Oct 3 18:23:42 UTC 2014

On 10/3/2014 1:30 PM, "J. Van Brimmer" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just acquired a "new" refurbished Lenovo X140e netbook. tI has
> Windows 7 Pro on it. The first thing I did after booting it up was to
> go into Partition Management to shrink the C partition to make room
> for Lubuntu. I was shocked to discover that the partition manager
> would only shrink C by 50%. So, I went ahead and did that.
>
> Then, I booted up a live CD of Gparted. Gparted says I can shrink C
> way down a lot more. I don't remember how far it was, but it was way
> down, less than 100 GB.
>
> Can I safely follow Gparted's recommendation and not impact Winbroke?
> I am not too terribly worried about it though. I am going to create a
> restore image DVD, but I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any
> experience on this before I get started.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> ->Jerry<-

I set up dual-boot on a Lenovo 3000 C200 laptop running Vista.  My notes:

Rescue and Recovery hidden system folder C:\RRbackups is unmovable by
any defrag program I tried and keeps me from further shrinking the
Windows partition more than an initial 30 GB.

Lenovo forum notes that the folder and/or its contents may be reliably
removed under any Live CD.

Current RRbackups folder size: 14.0 GB (probably holds a system image I
did at some point).  Delete folder under Lubuntu Live.

This triggered /Installing device driver software/ at next Vista boot.
No Unknown Devices when done.

There was still an unmovable $UsnJrnl file near the end of the
partition.  From an elevated command prompt, I deleted it with:
     fsutil usn deletejournal /n c:
It will eventually be recreated.

I shrank the Windows partition to 53GB, leaving 25GB free there, and
53GB for Lubuntu.

[I don't have explicit notes about what partition tool I was using at
each shrink.  I may have started with the Windows tool and finished with
Gparted.]