Stop "dbus." startx, or self sabotage?

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 14:59:39 UTC 2014

Hi
On 11/27/2014 01:47 PM, Fritz Hudnut wrote:

> Folks: [this account wasn't working this am, used another addy which
> "bounced" . . . sorry if it gets posted twice . . . .]
>
> Working with 14.04.1 on iBook G4 this am . . . hibernate is not really
> working, restarted the computer to get into GUI, did some stuff
> online; then Software Updater showed some updates, just had upgraded
> yesterday . . . showed a couple of items including "dbus" . . . did
> the upgrade in Terminal.  Continued working in FF, then, inadvertently
> must have hit the control key, or alt . . . and a "brightness" bar
> opened on the desktop . . . on my newer apple keyboard the F2 key is
> showing "brightness" . . . I pressed the F2 . . . itself . . . and
> screen went black.  Thinking I had dropped into a TTY I then
> cntrl-alt-F2 and got "TTY4" . . . not knowing what I was then going to
> do . . . I tried "sudo startx" . . . some stuff flashed on the screen
> and then the blackness . . . .  I shut down and restarted . . . then
> got into a cycle of "logging in" at the lightdm log in window . . .
> kept going back to the log in, rather than the desktop . . . .
>
> So, series of possible errors; I recall there was some conversation
> here about "dbus" upgrade . . . but since I had no problem at that
> time wasn't paying rapt attention . . . so possibly the "dbus" upgrade
> put me into the endless log in??  I didn't reboot after I did the
> update/upgrade . . . then brushing the control key and then several
> seconds later the F2 . . . put me into a TTY window?  Except there was
> no CLI text . . . just black screen . . . .  And then, in the interest
> of blundering forward, it seems like maybe the "startx" command would
> survive the shut down and restart?  Tried this a couple of times, kind
> of at a loss for what might be the problem or how to troubleshoot--I
> can choose between "logging in" thru lightdm window . . . did not try
> "Guest" log in . . . or black screen???  Can't decide which is
> better?  Help me decide, please . . . . : - )

Fritz, a better way to 'startx' when using lightdm is to
sudo service lightdm restart
This will restart lightdm and bring you to the login screen (or back to
your desktop if you autologin.

As for the dbus issue... I do not know the answer there.... maybe
someone else has an answer.

What I would do:
boot into recovery mode, and get to your root console
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && exit
then try to log in to low graphics mode.  If this works hurray!  If
not.... we can go from there :)