A survey of GUI-based free online backup

Wed Nov 26 19:53:48 UTC 2014

On 11/26/2014 12:34 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> It seems to me, however, that installing Mono introduces additional
> security risks similar to those posed by Wine.  Anyone disagree?
I notice that some of the Windows security updates are for the ".net
framework".  If the mono version of '.net' is updated similarly, it
ought to be okay.

Similar concerns about Java are out there, but everything I've seen
alerts the user, asking for permission if anything is questionable. For
example, if a Java program needs access beyond the 'sandbox'
permissions, it must have a revokable code-signing certificate, and any
patching of the code would invalidate the checksum.  Also, for
applications run from the web, they can be designated to run from a
particular URL, and they won't run from some other URL.

I am very familiar with Java, but much less familiar with '.net'.

People are welcome to their concerns, but I recommend such concerns be
based on actual cases, and not on ideas that are not evidence-based.

--
Sincerely,
Aere