need suggestions for sound GUIs [was: Re: Configuring sound output on Lubuntu 14.4]

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:30:58 UTC 2014

On 11/18/2014 01:20 PM, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Leszek Lesner <leszek.lesner at web.de> wrote:
>> If your computers are powerfull enough I would recommend installing the
>> package
>> pulseaudio
>> and
>> pavucontrol
> I do not recommend this. People will disagree with me, but pulse is a
> bloated and unnecessary. It adds extra layers on top of ALSA that have
> no real value. This is inconsistent with the goals of Lubuntu. If
> you're doing music production, I'd simply suggest JACK. But for just
> having sound for browsers and such ALSA is good enough. This is
> especially true for Marc as I know he's dealing with older machines.
>
> There was much discussion in the past about having a GUI for sound control:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/lubuntu-brainstorming/+spec/sound-mixer
>
> I think we need to revisit this discussion, personally.
>
> I might throw down for xfce4-mixer.
Hi,
I understand this logic.
The two easy things to do are, as Walter pointed out, open alsamixer
from a terminal

Check to make sure things are not muted (MM means muted 00 means not muted)
You can also choose the sound device you are using.

If this fails, pavucontrol is extremely useful.

But of course, the one *other* thing is to make sure no hardware toggle
switch has muted your sound...
I say this because I have spent too much time trying to find a problem
that was actually a physically muted sound card :P