Lubuntu-users Digest, Vol 35, Issue 26

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 09:55:44 UTC 2014

Den 2014-11-17 04:01, Jerry skrev:

>     > I've been having good results with the Disks tool started by the top
>     > icon in the launcher.
>     > Start it up, plug in your USB stick, then "restore" the disk image from
>     > your .iso.  As usual, careful, read the messages....
>     > Seems to obliterate whatever was on the USB stick I haven't had to format.
>     >
>     > Disks even worked with  the distro LXLE an alternative to Lubuntu.
>     >
>     > I pretty much stick with Unity and Lubuntu with occasional samples of
>     > Next, LXLE, wattOS, chromebook, tablet, etc.
>     >
>     > JerryLA
>     > jerrylamos at netscape.net <mailto:jerrylamos at netscape.net>
>     >
>     >

>     Hi Jerry,
>
>     Do you think that this method via the Disks tool is using dd (or a
>     similar cloning process) under the hood? So that it has actually merged
>     the task of mkusb into an existing Ubuntu tool :-)
>
>     Let us check if the interface is good enough to help people avoid
>     destroying data on an internal drive by mistake.
>
>     Best regards
>     Nio
>
> Nio, I have no idea what the Disks utility does under the hood.
>
> In Lubuntu 14.10 the Disks utility available under the Accessories and
> gives an initial window naming the Disk Drives example:
>
> 120 GB Hard Disk
> ST3120213
>
> CD/DVD Drive
> ATAPI DVD A DH24AAS
>
> 2.0 GB Thumb Drive
> SanDisk Cruzer
>
> Now put the cursor over the Thumb Drive and click.  Really.  (Don't
> highlight the Hard Disk.  Really.)
>
> In the top right of the Disks window there's a gear.
> mouse over says More Actions.
> select Restore Disk Image.
> Gives a lot of data on model, size, partitioning, serial number, a graph
> of space usage and what's on it, in my case here wattOS R8-32bit LXDE
>
> Browse to the desired .iso and select that.
> The window says Destination 2.0 GB Thumb Drive - SanDisk Cruzer [8.02]
> (/dev/sdc)
> Pretty clear to me that's what I wanted to do.
>
> You are then given a couple more chances do you really want to do this.
>
> Of course nothing is fail safe.  I found the Disks windows really clear.
>
> Good luck, Jerry

Hi again Jerry,

Yes, I have tried it (reported details in another mail to the Lubuntu
Users mail community), and it works for me too. There is also a final
confirmation window, which helps making it safe (much safer than dd).

So, yes, 'Disks' is a good alternative for creating USB boot drives. It
would be even better, if it would 'advertize' this capability instead of
hiding it as 'restore' which is not where a beginner would look for a
tool to create a USB boot drive :-)

Best regards
Nio