Lubuntu-users Digest, Vol 35, Issue 26

Jerry jerrylamos at aim.com
Mon Nov 17 03:01:59 UTC 2014

> I've been having good results with the Disks tool started by the top
> icon in the launcher.
> Start it up, plug in your USB stick, then "restore" the disk image from
> your .iso.  As usual, careful, read the messages....
> Seems to obliterate whatever was on the USB stick I haven't had to format.
>
> Disks even worked with  the distro LXLE an alternative to Lubuntu.
>
> I pretty much stick with Unity and Lubuntu with occasional samples of
> Next, LXLE, wattOS, chromebook, tablet, etc.
>
> JerryLA
> jerrylamos at netscape.net

Hi Jerry,

Do you think that this method via the Disks tool is using dd (or a
similar cloning process) under the hood? So that it has actually merged
the task of mkusb into an existing Ubuntu tool :-)

Let us check if the interface is good enough to help people avoid
destroying data on an internal drive by mistake.

Best regards
Nio

Nio, I have no idea what the Disks utility does under the hood.

In Lubuntu 14.10 the Disks utility available under the Accessories and gives an initial window naming the Disk Drives example:

120 GB Hard Disk
ST3120213

CD/DVD Drive
ATAPI DVD A DH24AAS

2.0 GB Thumb Drive
SanDisk Cruzer

Now put the cursor over the Thumb Drive and click.  Really.  (Don't highlight the Hard Disk.  Really.)

In the top right of the Disks window there's a gear.
mouse over says More Actions.
select Restore Disk Image.
Gives a lot of data on model, size, partitioning, serial number, a graph of space usage and what's on it, in my case here wattOS R8-32bit LXDE

Browse to the desired .iso and select that.
The window says Destination 2.0 GB Thumb Drive - SanDisk Cruzer [8.02] (/dev/sdc)
Pretty clear to me that's what I wanted to do.

You are then given a couple more chances do you really want to do this.

Of course nothing is fail safe.  I found the Disks windows really clear.

Good luck, Jerry