nasty display bug??

Fri Nov 7 22:12:16 UTC 2014

On 11/07/2014 02:01 PM, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
> Please add this info to the bug report.
>
> Also, is there actually a display from the Intel graphics card?
>
> And does ANY OS boot that machine to anything but a blank screen? Part
> of me wonders if it isn't an issue with the BIOS itself.
Walter:

I already posted that information to the bug report.

All of the partitions on that machine are 12.04 systems (Lubuntu LXLE,
Xubuntu, UbuntuStudio, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu Unity).

With the BIOS set to 'AUTO' graphics card selection, they all booted
using the NVIDIA PCI graphics card through the entire process (including
the BIOS displays).

I still have a Lubuntu 13.10 live USB, and tried it on the Dell DX-1100
machine.

With the BIOS set to use the onboard (Intel) graphics, it booted with no
problems, but showed the problems with jagged color-gradients (a.k.a.
tearing), and the Java Web-Start (IcedTea) desktop launchers failed to
work (because its splash-screen uses graphics capabilities not available
on the Intel graphics driver distributed with 13.10).

I then rebooted, setting the BIOS graphics card selection to 'AUTO', and
plugged the monitor into the NVIDIA PCI graphics card.  The 13.10 USB
drive booted normally into the Lubuntu desktop, and did not have the
problem with jagged color-gradients (tearing), and the Java Web-Start
(IcedTea) desktop launchers worked as they usually do.

I tested it with the BIOS graphics card selection set to 'AUTO' (the way
it was when I noticed the problem, and connected the monitor to the
NVIDIA PCI graphics card.  Then I booted the Lubuntu 14.10 live-USB system.

It displayed the uNetBootIn menu (on the NVIDIA card), and I selected
the 'try without installing' option.  It then read-in (from the USB
drive) the initial RAM-disk file-system.  When it then tried to use the
RAM-FileSystem, I quickly got a blank screen, and I noticed the two
right-most keyboard indicator-lights were flashing on and off together.
I plugged in the monitor cable to the Intel graphics VGA port, but
nothing was displayed (and I think it said there was no VGA cable, on
the screen).

--
Sincerely,
Aere