Display Serious Issue with Lubuntu

Ali Linx ali.linux at amjjawad.net
Fri May 16 17:04:32 UTC 2014

On 05/10/2014 08:49 PM, brendanperrine wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 10:14:09 -0600
> Aere Greenway <Aere at Dvorak-Keyboards.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/10/2014 05:53 AM, Ali Linx wrote:
>>> Yes, I can resize that - not sure I explained that? - but not all the
>>> application allows you to do so. Some applications/tools by default,
>>> are drawn in a way that none of the edges or borders are cut-off so I
>>> can read exactly everything without resizing and sometimes with
>>> resizing. However, some applications/tools don't actually allow you to
>>> do that or these do but to a certain point where you can't go further
>>> and after all, it is useless and you still miss the bottom part.
>> Ali:
>>
>> The application I tested, is the one I have developed, and I used it for
>> testing because I understand how it works internally, and because of
>> developing it, I am aware of the internal things the developer can specify.
>>
>> It is written in Java, and uses the Swing GUI.  So it differs from most
>> applications on Linux, which are written in C++, and likely use QT (or
>> GTK) for the GUI.
>>
>> I am assuming that the things available to the developer in Java/Swing
>> are similar to what is available to developers using Qt and C++.  That
>> assumption could very well be wrong.  I don't actually know.
>>
>> Certainly, there is the capability to maximize the window available.  I
>> didn't mention it because we were addressing cases where part of the
>> window is cut-off.  Maximizing would introduce the possibility of it
>> being cut-off width-wise as well.
>>
>> In your paragraph above, you have a good point.
>>
>> Normally, when you paint a window, it will display it using the
>> 'preferred' dimensions.
>>
>> However (and I may fix this in my application - I hadn't thought of it),
>> the application is (or can be) aware of the screen dimensions available,
>> and can act accordingly.
>>
>> To fix it, if the screen is too small for the window, I could (and
>> should) at least set the window size to its minimum dimensions, rather
>> than allowing it to be painted in its 'preferred' dimensions.  In the
>> case of my application, the minimum dimensions will still not be enough,
>> but it would help.  Thank you for pointing out a bug in my application!
>>
>> As for what package you would report the problem, it would be each
>> individual application that exhibits the problem, which is probably a
>> lot of packages.
>>
>> By the way, when my web-site goes live (which will be soon), I plan to
>> post a short e-mail to this list (if it is permissible) giving the URL
>> of my web-site, and people (if they are interested) can take a look at
>> what I have been doing since January of 2012.  It is a MIDI music
>> application, which (I think) is amazing in what it can do.
>>
>> Anyway, I hope this information helps.  I need to go make a small fix to
> [...]

Hi,

> I wonder if there could be a hard workaround using the openbox per application settings to change the suggested size for the application to make it fit. I am not sure how exactly to do that but I remember seeing it in ~/.config/openbox/lubuntu-rc.xml but I don't know that part of openbox configuration if that properties is allowed or what it would be called.*I don't think a new user would be capable of this at all.*

Indeed :)
This is what I'm trying to explain for many days now, thank you!

Again (not sure how many I repeated that?!) for me, this is no big deal
but it is NOT me who is using Lubuntu, it is my neighbors I'm converting
to GNU/Linux:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/Activities#Convert_Users_in_Real_Life
http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-report-project-convert-my.html

And because of these issues which sadly the developers or other people
may think of them as so trivial and low priority, my neighbors think
these are highly important bugs that must be fixed. And, I have nothing
but to agree with them. If I really want to convince people to start
using GNU/Linux, I must offer them a good alternative with less bugs.
Sadly, only Lubuntu is giving me hard time :(

I only use: Ubuntu GNOME, Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

@Julien
Not sure when will you read all that but I'm CC'ing you anyway :)

--
Ali/amjjawad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad