Display Serious Issue with Lubuntu

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Fri May 16 20:53:44 UTC 2014

2014-05-16 22:38, Israel skrev:
> On 05/16/2014 03:09 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Hi Israel,
>>
>> This virtualization is possible with KVM and virt-manager. I do it. But
>> we don't want a virtual machine in an old computer, so the question
>> remains: How to use the same technique without a virtual machine.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
> I didn't mean a VM, I meant:
> Is there a way to virtualize the screen resolution?
> I think it is possible on windows, so that means it is possible for the
> hardware to do.
> If the hardware can handle it, how do we do this in software?
> If we can figure out the software part, we can at least make a script to
> automate everything.
> And if we can get this working we can make a GUI that launches the
> script (some people are terrified of the immense power of the terminal,
> and some people simply don't like it) or launches different scripts
> based on what their display is.

Yes this is possible with panning or scaling

I found this link

http://techfrp.blogspot.se/2010/09/xrandr-desktop-scaling-for-ubuntu.html

Where you can use panning like this (it pans, when you push the cursor
to the edge of the screen without any button pressed)
-----
@ubuntumini:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 600, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
LVDS1 connected 1024x600+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
222mm x 125mm
   1024x600       60.0*+
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9

     What this shows is the capabilities of your attached Displays.
Screen 0 shows the current capabilities of the PC both minimums,
maximums and current. I had no external displays attached so the
connector VGA1 shows disconnected. The three resolutions listed below
LVDS1 shows the physical resolutions that the display is capable of. In
my case the builtin screen is called LVDS1. This is important to
remember as you need to name this Display when making changes with
XRandR and your Display may have a different name. The important
"number" here is the maximum. This shows that the largest Display size
you can set is 4096x4096, huge. For my needs I just wanted to increase
the Desktop slightly within standard resolutions to 1280x720.

      Once you have the Display name and the minimums and maximums you
can enter the following at a terminal command line.

xrandr --fb 1280x720 --output LVDS1 --panning 1280x720

     What this says is set the resolution to 1280x720 on display LVDS1
enable panning at 1280x720. The panning enables the oversized desktop.
You can enter any resolutions here that you would like to experiment
with, however I would stick with standard monitor resolutions or you
could experience unexpected results. BTW, it needs to be said at this
point that if you play with these settings and mess up your display, I
am not responsible. These settings have worked as shown perfectly for me
but your mileage may vary.

      For me, this solved my problem with Evolution and all other
applications experiencing the same issues. When I opened Evolution's
Preference's it now displayed correctly with all Option settings
reachable through scrolling. To set the desktop back I used the
following which resets it back to my original settings.

xrandr --fb 1024x600 --output LVDS1 --panning 1024x600
-----

Scaling works like this (fit the appropriate scale factor, this is only
an example)

xrandr --fb 1280x720 --output LVDS1 --scale 1.5x1.5

See also

man xrandr

Best regards
Nio