On Lubuntu 14.04, No Wireless on 2 machines that wireless worked on 13.10

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Thu May 8 09:47:06 UTC 2014

2014-05-08 05:35, Aere Greenway skrev:
> On 05/07/2014 08:44 PM, Israel wrote:
>> That is extremely bizarre.... Did you use the same disk image that was
>> successful before?
>> I know you said the md5sum checked out... but it is odd that you
>> should get something so different.
>>
> Israel:
>
> I now partially understand the bizarre.
>
> The live CD I installed my systems from was not the actual release
> version.  It was the beta-test version, and I later installed updates to
> bring the system up to current levels.
>
> After the release, I downloaded the actual release ISO, and made a live
> CD and a live USB from it.
>
> I dug around in my waste-basket, and found the beta-test live CD, booted
> it in one of the machines it worked in before, and to my surprise (and
> relief), it worked fine with the wireless dongle.  It was also the
> network tool I was used to using.
>
> Apparently, the release ISO either has something new replacing the
> wireless configuration tools that worked (in the beta release), or there
> is something missing in it.
>
> I checked in Synaptic Package manager, and found the "wpasupplicant"
> package, and also "network-manager" in the beta system.
>
> I terminated, and re-booted the release-level live CD (in which the
> wireless is still not working), and it also had those two packages.
> Neither system had the "wicd" package (I had heard mentioned sometime in
> the past), so that is not a factor.
>
> Apparently it is not possible to configure a WEP wireless network on the
> release live CD/USB.
>
> Any ideas of what might be missing?

Hi Aere,

When you started nm-applet (and it wouldn't work), did you run it with
or without gksudo? Try with gksudo, if it you didn't.

I'm looking forward to Julien fixing this bug, so that the wifi will
work well in the first point release, Lubuntu 14.04.1. But we need
work-arounds before that.

Just my two cents
Nio