autostart bug

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:24:09 UTC 2014

Hi Basil,
[I will reply inline]
Best regards/Nio

Den 2014-07-23 13:08, Basil Fernie skrev:
> Hi Nio,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response. I checked out the linked threads and my
> conclusion is that most of the advice offered actually addresses the
> converse of my problem. There are solutions to the question "How do I
> introduce a new application package offline to an existing installed
> distro. I read them with interest, this is also a problem I sometimes
> face, but what is really on my mind is this:
>
> How do I overwrite an existing full working installation's system files,
> including the Linux kernel, with an upgrade to a more recent version
> (from 12.04 to 14.04 in this instance)? Specifically, I have the
> entirety of the new version as released in an iso on a bootable DVD
> already; I have run that iso live from the DVD and am satisfied that
> it's fine, apart perhaps for a few regular-type dsriable updates which I
> will anyway do via Lubuntu's Update Manager in due course.

I see.

> What I would love to be able to do is boot from the new DVD and invoke
> the live installer, selecting then the (currently non-existent) option
> to overwrite the existing system including kernel, system executables,
> scripts, configuration files, and distro-standard included application
> packages that are more recent than ones I have already installed over
> the older distro, without being forced to reformat the entire Lubuntu
> partition, thereby losing all my painfully selected, downloaded and
> installed additional application packages not to mention the gigabytes
> of user data.

The standard method to upgrade from one LTS to the next one is to wait
until the first point release. At the same time there will be an
upgrader that is even annonced by the 'daily updater'. It will actually run

do-release-upgrade

under the hood. It requires connection via internet for downloading a
lot of packages, so not an option for you unless you move your computer
or at least your hard disk drive or a cloned copy of it.

> To preserve these important to me things I am currently forced to backup
> everything that I think will be endangered, do a clean install of the
> new Lubuntu, then restore everything from backup, in the process
> probably overwriting some important new files that were installed with
> the new version of the distro. A job stretching over probably 2 or 3
> days initially, followed unpleasant random discoveries at various
> (critical?) points.

You should always backup everything important before risky operations,
so this is not an 'additional task' in your particular situation.

Many people prefer to have a separate home partition and to make fresh
installations (without wiping the home partition) and keep the personal
tweaks. Then you have to add the extra PPAs and  program packages, but
it is usually much easier than what you describe.

> The only remotely relevant suggestion I could find would mean doing a
> clean  live install of e.g. Lubuntu 14.o4 on another machine booted from
> the new DVD, then copy them into the named special directory on my
> operational laptop's operational partition, then do a "no-download"
> installation from that directory. I expect that will avoid the feared
> non-optional reformatting requirement of the target partition, since the
> named directory is on that partition?
>
> The obvious potential problem here is that the interim machine on which
> the clean install is done, may have subtle differences at the hardware
> or BIOS level and thus force a clean installation that might be somewhat
> inappropriate for the eventual operational machine.
>
> Variations on this theme which might be better would include setting
> aside a bootable partition on the operational target machine for the
> interim clean install, then doing the copy at HDU speeds into the named
> directory in the target operational partition, alternatively (and better
> for propagation across a small family of computers needing the same
> upgrade) doing the interim clean installation onto a bootable memory
> stick mounted in the operational target machine, then copying back as
> before.

You can use the OEM feature according to this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu_OEM_Installer_Overview