OBI on DVD and more...

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 05:26:07 UTC 2014

Hi Andre,

That is similar to my experience. Some computers need one tool, other
computers need another one. Some of them are willing to boot in many
ways, some are harder to boot.

I don't think there is one 'patent tool' that will solve all tasks. But
if I should say something in general it might be something like this:

Plop is more likely to help boot from USB in very old computers, while
it is more likely that middle aged computers can boot directly from USB.

Old and slow USB pendrives can be better booters than new and fast USB
drives.

The software and configuration of the USB pendrive can also make a
difference in ability to boot.

I think the problem is that the motherboards and USB devices vary (both
hardware and software), and the primary task when designing the USB
system was to use it to connect to peripheral devices and as mass
storage devices, but not for booting. But I guess it is gradually
getting more standardized, and easier to use for booting.

Finally, I'll ask again:

>     Do you think there is a great need for CD booting?

I think you asked concerning the OBI. Should be try to find someone who
can include it into an iso file with a live system?

Best regards
Nio