Temperature monitor and fan control?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Feb 27 01:09:39 UTC 2014

In Saucy, on a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, I want to monitor the CPU
temperature and preferably have the option of controlling the fans.

I8kmon, installed by the i8kutils package, would seem to be ideal. See
the documentation at
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/saucy/man1/i8kmon.1.html

I installed i8kutils from the standard repo, but I can't get i8kmon
working at all.

Just running 'i8kmon' should start the program in user mode and display
a user interface with the current temperature and button controls for
the fans.  It does indeed display a very small interface on the desktop
-- with no temperature display, though there are a couple plain button
controls.

ps -e | grep i8 shows nothing running.  And if I click a button in the
interface, it generates an error for /proc/i8k, saying there is no such
file or directory.

Does anyone know how to get this or something equivalent running in Lubuntu?