Temperature monitor and fan control?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Feb 27 19:26:03 UTC 2014

Thanks for pointing the way to that piece of progress.

The default setup results in reported temperatures in the 30's and very
low 40's (C).

But with a dual-boot setup on this machine and I8kfan running under
Windows, it reports temperatures in the mid-40's and 50's, and higher if
the machine is working (61 C right now with it doing a Windows Update).

Under Lubuntu, I saw by hovering over the temp that it was reporting
/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0.  I don't have lm-sensors installed,
and HardInfo: Sensors reports nothing, so I didn't have any idea that
way about what sensors might be available to report.  But I found that
there was also a /sys/class/thermal/cooling_device0 directory.  In
Lxpanel's Temperature Monitor setup, I entered 'cooling_device0' in the
Sensor field and rebooted, and now it reports idle temperatures in the
40's-50's, closer to i8kfan readings under Windows.

But concerning fan behavior: Under Windows, Fan 1 starts at low speed at
45 C.  At 50 or 55 it steps up to high speed.  Fan 2 starts running also
if it reaches 60 or 65 C.

But the fans run a lot less under Lubuntu.  They don't turn on at all
until cooling_device0 hits 63 C, at which point both fans come on.

I also have some lingering doubt about the accuracy of Temp Monitor's
report.  I say that because in Lubuntu, cooling_device0 temp reported 49
C, and when I rebooted into Windows the initial temp reported was 60 C.
(Although I grant that temp could have climbed by 11 C during boot
activity.)

So I am still interested in how to do fan control in Lubuntu, since
whatever controls fans by default (anyone know whether it is the BIOS or
something else?) lets the CPU get fairly hot before taking any action.

Anyone know of a fan control solution?