Ubuntu based versions, flavours and re-spins for old hardware

Ali Linx ali.linux at amjjawad.net
Wed Feb 19 23:18:00 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 01:58 AM, Salama wrote:
> It was almost dead when it came to me.. but now - using Lubuntu - I
> can even edit Audio &  Video on it!!
> The machine is Dell Latitude D600
> RAM 512 mb (!!)
> Hard Disk isn't working.. neither the battery!
> I installed Lubuntu 10.04 on a 4GB USB stick and actually used it for a while.
> Now it's working on 12.04 with 16GB usb flash stick constantly
> attached to the machine.
> The processor is Intel M 1.4
> Wireless didn't work out of the box, but I got it fixed.
> Kernel is 3.2.0.59
>
> So you can see why I love an operating system that can breath life
> into a machine like this!
> I even was able to flash a BIOS upgrade using it.. which is a
> dangerous process even on stable powerful machines.

Salama,

You're bringing back more than 2 years of memories that I'm trying to
avoid ...

You're not the only one ... I've been the most active contributor to
Lubuntu :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Lubuntu-Team

And speaking of what this system can do, see this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614&page=16
You may need to follow the thread from the first post:
Skim, don't read everything and while you do, look at the date of the
thread ;)

Better go to sleep before you bring more memories :D
I don't want to remember that now :P

--
Ali/amjjawad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad