Extra Step to connect to a Wireless Network

Ali Linx ali.linux at amjjawad.net
Fri Feb 14 18:32:14 UTC 2014

On 02/14/2014 10:13 PM, Leszek Lesner wrote:
> Am 14.02.2014 19:01, schrieb Ali Linx:
Hi Leszek and thanks for your reply :)

>> Hi Lubuntu Community,
>>
>> Not sure if you're aware of my real life project [1] or not which is
>> part of StartUbuntu Project [2] but for you to know, I am using
>> Lubuntu 13.10 as one of the systems beside Xubuntu 12.04.3 and Ubuntu
>> GNOME 13.10 :)
>>
>> However, Lubuntu is the only flavor of Ubuntu that I am using which
>> asks for the user password before connecting to any Wireless Network
>> AND whenever I do need to edit any listed Wireless Network on the
>> Network Manager.
>>
>> Why?
> It seems to be a policy kit issue here. Can you check the policykit
> rules of Xubuntu and or Ubuntu Gnome to check wether there is a rule
> missing for Lubuntu
How to check that? I'm on Xubuntu 12.04 now (my default system nowadays).

>> How to stop that?
> I guess this should work albeit its taken from the Arch Wiki:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Set_up_PolicyKit_permissions
Will have a look but not sure if Arch Wiki will help for a Lubuntu
issue. Thanks for the link :)

> I am not sure about autologin though. This might cause entering the user
> password as authentication. (If autologin is not enabled it
> authenticates through the password entered in the login manager).
>

>> I am not here to argue about the philosophy of enabling that feature
>> or not fixing that bug yet but actually I'm trying to make my life
>> easier and the people I am converting to Linux, they have never used
>> it before.
>>
>> I'm sure I have seen that before when I was involved here but my head
>> has tons of stuff that it is hard to go dig for this now :)
> In my opinion this is a bug. Policykit should only ask for password when
> you want to create a "system wide" connection.

Not sure if this bug reported but Phill long time ago is the same as
this issue I'm asking about?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/964705

It is frustrating for someone like me so I can only imagine it might be
very frustrating for 'new' users.

> Greetings
> Leszek

Thank you!