Extra Step to connect to a Wireless Network

Leszek Lesner leszek.lesner at web.de
Fri Feb 14 18:48:45 UTC 2014

Am 14.02.2014 19:32, schrieb Ali Linx:

> On 02/14/2014 10:13 PM, Leszek Lesner wrote:
>> Am 14.02.2014 19:01, schrieb Ali Linx:
> Hi Leszek and thanks for your reply :)
>
>>> Hi Lubuntu Community,
>>>
>>> Not sure if you're aware of my real life project [1] or not which is
>>> part of StartUbuntu Project [2] but for you to know, I am using
>>> Lubuntu 13.10 as one of the systems beside Xubuntu 12.04.3 and Ubuntu
>>> GNOME 13.10 :)
>>>
>>> However, Lubuntu is the only flavor of Ubuntu that I am using which
>>> asks for the user password before connecting to any Wireless Network
>>> AND whenever I do need to edit any listed Wireless Network on the
>>> Network Manager.
>>>
>>> Why?
>> It seems to be a policy kit issue here. Can you check the policykit
>> rules of Xubuntu and or Ubuntu Gnome to check wether there is a rule
>> missing for Lubuntu
> How to check that? I'm on Xubuntu 12.04 now (my default system nowadays).
Try to look at the files in /etc/polkit-1/ (and subfolders) aswell as
/usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d

>>> How to stop that?
>> I guess this should work albeit its taken from the Arch Wiki:
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#Set_up_PolicyKit_permissions
>>
> Will have a look but not sure if Arch Wiki will help for a Lubuntu
> issue. Thanks for the link :)
I guess the only difference here is that Lubuntu has its rules.d
directory in /usr/share/polkit-1 instead of /etc/polkit-1 . As all linux
distros use policykit nowadays there shouldn't be any difference on that
low level.

>> I am not sure about autologin though. This might cause entering the user
>> password as authentication. (If autologin is not enabled it
>> authenticates through the password entered in the login manager).
>>

>>> I am not here to argue about the philosophy of enabling that feature
>>> or not fixing that bug yet but actually I'm trying to make my life
>>> easier and the people I am converting to Linux, they have never used
>>> it before.
>>>
>>> I'm sure I have seen that before when I was involved here but my head
>>> has tons of stuff that it is hard to go dig for this now :)
>> In my opinion this is a bug. Policykit should only ask for password when
>> you want to create a "system wide" connection.
>
> Not sure if this bug reported but Phill long time ago is the same as
> this issue I'm asking about?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/964705
>
> It is frustrating for someone like me so I can only imagine it might
> be very frustrating for 'new' users.
This comment sums it up I guess:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/964705/comments/4
"System-wide" connections need authentication.
Perhaps if you connect to the network manually by disabling system-wide
connection (it should be a checkbox) solves this problem for you.