How to install lubuntu to USB

Tong Sun lubuys.xpt at spamgourmet.com
Thu Feb 6 04:32:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:42 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:

> I can then use it pretty much like a normal system, and in particular, I can
> install all of the MIDI software I need (as well as Java).  The live-CD user
> has no password - you just hit the Enter key when it asks for the password.
>
> One important difference with such systems, is that if you apply updates,
> you will soon use up all the space in your persistence file, and if it is a
> kernel update, it will go through the motions of the update, but the next
> boot (or any subsequent boot) will not boot the new kernel. . .
>
> I use it to demonstrate my software (with all the MIDI components installed)
> on Windows machines, without having to install anything.  It just boots and
> runs.

Thanks for your detailed explanation Aere, from which I have a feeling
that you are not a programmer. Being just a normal user and achieving
what you have achieved, that's really something.

Just for returning of the favor, do you know that you are this close
to have your own live (USB) system, that can contain whatever tools
you like, e.g., all of the MIDI  & Java software you need, and
upgraded whatever need to upgrade, and no need to worry about running
out of your live space?

The trick is to know how to unpack the filesystem.squashfs and repack
it. That's what I'm doing now. It is not too much harder than what you
are doing now, just a bit more steps. You do not need to be a
programmer in order to do it. Your "trial-and-error" methodology will
get you there eventually.

If interested, check these out:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jGiYO2hyNbUWnUCFYeHOZZz_pU8PToE343O-QXZ_XuI/edit
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FFA1vJd9hb4RfIx9mHRcAdIuUqHTUQC1os5WeRhY6eo/edit