How to install lubuntu to USB

Tong Sun lubuys.xpt at spamgourmet.com
Mon Feb 3 03:44:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

I was trying to install lubuntu to boot from my USB key, but it always
fails on me. What's the proper way to to install lubuntu to USB and
boot from it? (Manual steps on command line preferred).

This is what I tried

- copy the casper and preseed folder from CD to the root folder of my USB key
- use the following grub boot menu:

title Run lubuntu
        kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/lubuntu.seed
boot=casper showmounts persistent noprompt --
        initrd /casper/initrd.lz

My grub boot this entry fine, and I can see that initramfs was trying
to mount root fs, but then my console prints some error. I can
remember the errors because almost immediately afterwards my console
starts flashing. make it impossible for me to read anything from it.

Since my grub boot this entry fine, I think maybe my grub boot menu is
wrong? or I missed some other important step?

Please help. Thanks

tong