WOTL: Any thoughts for best desktop value these days?

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 00:05:22 UTC 2014

Folks:

So far all my computers have been Apple, but with the PPC iMac now at 12
years or so old and having an extended "illness" which it may or may not
survive . . . I've been considering a new/used desktop to replace it.

Since I've been fiddling with linux for a couple of years I have some
options that let me avoid windows, and might still open the door for PC
options.  But, I don't know or have too much experience on the use of PCs .
. . .  Of course the answer will vary depending on who is answering . . .
but, any machines that are friendlier to linux . . . and also that, um,
might be persuaded to be friends with one of the osx versions??  PS, I know
apple doesn't like it's system on non-branded machines . . . .

But, main question, any great value machines, primarily of a desktop
nature, where it could be possible to add internal HDs without too much
trouble, fiddle with components . . . and mainly be able to have a few
linux OSs available. . . without spending a whole lot of money???

Thanks for any thoughts,