How old is your computer?

Thu Dec 4 17:45:04 UTC 2014

On 12/04/2014 08:26 AM, Barry Titterton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How old is the oldest computer that you have in regular use?
>
> I was prompted to ask this question by a comment that I over heard while
> doing some Linux advocacy at my local community centre. They run
> beginners computer courses (Windows only) so I popped along to see if
> anyone would be interested in Linux and FOSS. There was a conversation
> which included the statement "If your machine is 3 to 4 years old it
> must be getting worn out, so you need to think about getting a new one".
> This got me thinking about my own machines and I realised that my main
> desktop PC (Pentium D 3.2GHz), that I use every day, will be 9 years old
> in February, and it is still capable of running Ubuntu 14.04 very well.
>
> So how old is your machine?.
>
> Regards,
>
> Barry T

Barry:

My oldest machine is an HP Vectra, 450 megahertz machine with 512 meg of
RAM.  The HP Vectra was introduced in 1983, and was popular for about 15
years.

My next-to-oldest machine is a Compaq Deskpro (small form factor), 933
megahertz machine with 512 meg RAM.  This machine was probably
introduced in 1986, and was popular through the 1990's (I see reference
guides for it dated 1997 & 1998).

Probably the first question that comes to mind, is why do I use such
machines?

These older machines are actually more valuable to me than newer
machines, as they allow me to test minimum configurations for my
software application (the KeyMusician Keyboard), which I designed to
also work (stated in the advertising) on older, slower machines.

I cannot do such testing on a virtual machine because that introduces an
unacceptable amount of latency in playing music.

Of course, my other reason for using old machines is the desire not to
throw away something that works perfectly well for the task intended.
With Linux, I have been able to productively use such machines.

Given the above statement, I have a number of older machines.  I have a
number of Dell Optiplex machines (GX-240, GX-260, and GX-270, produced
in 2003-2004).

I have a Dell Dimension DX1100 (which used to be my primary machine),
for which production ended about 2008.

My current primary machine is a Dell Inspiron 620 desktop machine, which
I bought two years ago, as a used machine.  My spouse has a similar
primary machine.

I have two Apple MacBook machines (manufactured between 2006 and 2011),
one of them 32-bit, and the other 64-bit, for testing on Mac OS X.

I have an Acer Aspire 4535 laptop I use for performing music (and also
for testing).  I bought it new in 2012.  I have an older Sony Vaio
laptop I use for testing on Windows Vista.

--
Sincerely,
Aere