7 problems (-1) (+1)

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 08:44:42 UTC 2014

7 problems

Hello,

I just switched to lubuntu 10.04 and have 7 problems (minus 1 solved, mentionned
to help others) (plus 1 time-honoured, see PS).

=== system versions ===

System installation was very problematic:

Normal upgrade crashed and let me with an unusable system (lubuntu did not even
start, grey screen at boot). Fortunately, I had kept an install CD from an old
version (12.04) which worked: I installed from new. Thus, I could download and
burn an install CD for version 14.04.

 From there, I first re-tried to upgrade, which crashed again but at a different
step of the procedure (note that the system was not in the same state since I
had installed from new). Then, I had to install again from new, but for security
I kept version 12.04. It worked, but now I have 2 versions of he system, and the
infamous boot menu to choose between installed versions.

How do I get rid of this menu? or of old versions altogether?

=== numlock at startup ===

The honorable numlock-at-startup issue is back! I did the usual procedure of
installing numlockx and check corresponding files
(/etc/X11/Xsession.d/55numlockx & ~/.xinitrc) but this method does not work
anymore, at least by me and with version 10.04. How to solve this issue?

=== no login ===

At system install (since I have done several in a row) I missed checking the box
for no user login. Now, I cannot find where to suppress this login step (which I
definitely hate; I live alone, no risk).

=== keyboard layout ===

Reverse issue: I properly selected my keyboard at system install, and it worked
during the first session. But then it switched (back?) to an US keyboard and I
cannot find where to set it properly.

But: to type this text I needed a proper layou,t so that I searched further and
after 15 more minutes found the solution there:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Keyboard#Keyboard_mapping_for_13.10_and_beyond
Note the line (which I overlooked): "By default, the option «Keep system
layouts» is checked. Uncheck it to customize your keyboard layout."

=== key typing ===

When typing text (and I do not type very fast), about 1 key stroke out of 5 is
missed by the input system: there are missing characters in the text (so that
this very text was very annoying to type anyway). How to solve this issue?
[Original text of the last sentence was: "Hw to sovethis isue?"]

=== mouse pointer ===

On the bakground of some apps (at least editors) the mouse pointer bugs: it
partly disappears, partly swiches to a pointing arrow when should be a text
cursor. How to have it work correctly?

=== colours ===

How to set up interface colours? this is for me a necessary, vital setting, if
only because white backgrounds kill my eyes! (thy are very, very sensitive to
strong lightness)

Note: at an old version of Lubuntu I found and used an excellent gnome program
for interface settings. Then, *some* of these settings where still taken into
account from version to version (of the system), notably the window background
colour was. Now, I have lost nearly everythng with the new install (despite the
back copy of my home, including "hidden" folders); only settings that do not fit
the latest styles remain, and I cannot adjust them anymore!

More generally, in my view:
* all std themes are bad & ugly: ergonomy & esthetics are not respected;
unfortunately, I do not have the technical & artistic competence (have a look at
Mac ergonomy & style, not Win)
* Lubuntu setting, for config & interface, is poor & messy: data are missing,
wrong, or disorganised; or I do not understand the logic (ditto)

Thank you for all your work anyway; critics do not undermine the value and I do
use Lubuntu! ;-)

denis

PS: a remaining unsolved issue AFAIK is window & box resizing: extra thin
borders are very hard to catch! The lower right corner is not right (at times
the pointer is far, and 50% cases it is not the right sense! and often we want
to resize in only one direction, not both; and some boxes have no such corner at
all...)