AW: 14.04 Look and Feel: many items are VERY faint

Tue Apr 22 16:51:34 UTC 2014

On 04/22/2014 01:52 AM, Leszek Lesner wrote:
> The nvidia-96 are simply so old that they won't work with the current
> kernel that's one of the reasons it was not shipped I guess.
> What actually might work very good for 2D acceleration is the old nv
> driver.
> But that seems not to be packages for Ubuntu 14.04.
> The only source I know where to get it is at launchpad:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv
> I guess installing want be enough. It needs removal of nouveau driver
> or blacklisting.
>
> The Nouveau driver has known issues with very old cards like this one.
> Thats the only reason I would recommend the old nv open-source driver.

I have a machine I gave to my daughter's family that has an older nvidia
graphics card.

When I tried to upgrade it to 13.04, it had strange behavior visually.
Windows would not be completely (or correctly) painted, but if I moved
the mouse over the areas where the missing items should be, they would
appear.

Because of that, when I gave her the machine, I installed a Kubuntu
12.04 LTS system on it, putting off my decision on what to do with it
until the end-of-life of 12.04 LTS.  They were used to using Kubuntu,
and there was no Lubuntu 12.04 LTS system, so I chose Kubuntu.

So if any of you come up with something that will solve these apparently
similar graphics problems, and will not fail again the next time their
system gets upgraded to a new level (14.10, for example), I am
definitely interested.

I have assumed that the only choice is to get them a newer nvidia
graphics card, or to give them one of my test machines (if I need fewer
of them in the future).

--
Sincerely,
Aere