media player

Henk Terhell hterhell at chello.nl
Fri Apr 18 22:06:42 UTC 2014

Happy to have installed 14.04 now on my desktop and old laptop but
upgrading from 12.04 was not very smooth. Only a complete overwrite
worked out OK. On my  laptop I forgot to put the wireless connection on
when upgrading to 14.04 ( I assumed I could do this afterward) and had
to reinstall again as I couldn't find a way to find the router.

There is a problem with media playing in 14.04 which I hadn't notice in
12.04: VLC player won't start a CD or DVD until it is ejected first from
PCManFM in the left column. Also VLC won't start when a CD or DVD was
present at start-up although BIOS is set to boot from the hard disk.
With BIOS setting at CD/DVD reading first, the system won't even boot
when a movie DVD is present, but that is a handicap quickly learned to
overcome.
Reinstalling VLC didn't solve anything

Henk