zRAM broken on Raring?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sun Sep 29 00:23:43 UTC 2013

On 9/28/2013 12:23 PM, sudodus wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Yes, let us hope the bug will be fixed soon, and it will be back-ported :-)
>
> Can you run your application without zRAM? You can switch it off in a
> simple way (and have it ready for reactivation) like this with crontab.
> Edit the crontab with
>
> sudo crontab -e
>
> $ sudo crontab -l |tail -n3
> # m h  dom mon dow   command
> @reboot              /sbin/swapoff /dev/zram*
> @reboot              /sbin/rmmod zram
>
> Best regards
> Nio

I set up a root crontab as you suggested, Nio, and syslog confirms that
the two crontab commands are run after the zram setup commands.

But sudo parted -l still reports:
     Error: /dev/zram1: unrecognised disk label

Does anyone know if the zram1 device would be using memory (the setup
command designated 512MB for zram on this 1GB setup) or otherwise doing
any harm?